Thursday, October 14, 2010

Selfishness

I find it extremely hard to come to terms with Selfish People.  Everyday I encounter them, be it the person who cuts in front of me at the grocery store, or the people on government assistance blatantly taking advantage of the system.  Why do people assume that the world owes them something?  I'm truly sorry for the misfortunes in everyone's lives, but everyone has issues to work through. GET OVER YOURSELF!  I have never taken anything that I didn't work for so I completely agree with NYC mayor Michael Bloomburg who wants to make it where junk food can't be bought with food stamps. GOOD! This should definately go nation wide.  It's not telling people what they can eat but if you want your damn soda or chips get a job and pay with your own money.  Selfish!  This just bothers me to no end when I see people that don't even try, just taking and taking and never paying it forward.  I guess the value of a dollar has been lost since you can pick up a welfare check.  Now I know these are good programs that truly help and many people utilize them they way they are meant, so I don't want to take away from that but there definitly should be restrictions and limitations (drug testings??).  Ultimately its a portion of my tax dollars, should I as a tax payer have a say?
       Cigarettes, the ultimate selfish act.  Not only does this affect you as an individual but everyone around you gets hit by the second hand smoke which is just has bad.  People here in Wichita, Ks have been pretty upset by the reccent smoking bans.  I am so thankful that laws have caught up to the times and are really enforcing healthy lifestyles.  Ummm... I'm sorry that while I have my dinner out that I'd rather not inhale your smoke from 5 tables over.  I remember when going into a restaurant you would be asked "smoking or non?" and then the two section seperated by a thin wall.  I'm sorry that wasn't cutting it.  We are just now finding out about the harmful effects of BPA (Bisphenol A), how long have I been exposed to that cancer causing agent?  So please respect the rights of non-smokers to have clean air.  Now as the wife of a current smoker, I just don't get it.  I've never personally had an addiction so I guess I just really don't comprehend doing something that shortens your life.  I almost get kind of resentful, its like slowly watching someone die. And those are the thoughts I have everytime I watch him go outside to smoke. Selfish!  Think about our babies, think about me, think about something that could keep you from taking that puff.  I guess I'm the selfish one for wanting him around longer than he actually wants to be. The thought of bringing in the second hand on your clothes and into our children can't even stop him from smoking, then I don't know what will.
       I guess what I'm getting at is, why is everyone always out for #1?  Shouldn't we try to teach our children some humanity, selflessness, and independence?  I want for my children to be confident in their abilities and to always help when they can.  And I hope that I am a good enough parent to instill these values as they grow.

1 comment: